2. Lowers learning curve for testers discovering the value of test automation processes.
3. Enables experienced test-automation engineers to uncover more defects by extending their test scripts with conditional logic to cover more of the application, and to define test cases to call external DLLs or executables.
5. Includes built-in test management, and integrates with the tools in the IBM Rational Unified Process® for defect tracking, change management and requirements traceability.
6. Supports multiple UI technologies for everything from Java™, the Web and all VS.NET controls to Oracle® Forms, Borland® Delphi® and Sybase® PowerBuilder® applications (see System Requirements page for complete list).
Robot automatically plays back scripts that emulate user actions interacting with the GUI of applications under test (AUT). The validity of the AUT is determined by comparators at Verification Points, when objects of the AUT are compared against a baseline of what is expected.
a) SQABasic scripts (using MS-Basic language syntax) capture the commands equivalent to each user action.
b) RobotJ scripts (using Java language syntax) These are compiled into .class files containing java bytecode.
c) Virtual User (VU) scripts (using C language syntax) capture entire streams of conversations HTML, SQL, Tuxedo, CORBA Inter-ORB IIOP, and raw Sockets Jolt protocols sent over the network. These are compiled into dynamic-link library (.dll) files and linked into a .obj compiled from a .c source file which calls the .dll file.
a) Add for, while, and do-while loops to simplify repetitive actions.
b) Add conditional branching.
c) Modify think time variables.
d) Respond to runtime errors.
e) Store and retrieve test data to/from datapool files.
# Menu selections replayed using statements such as
PushButton Click, "Text=OK" RadioButton Click, "name=radio3" CheckBox Click, "name=checkStudent" ComboBox Click, "name=comboCountry", Coords="25,10" EditBox Click, "name=txtQty"
Alt-P = "%P"
Ctrl-P = "^P"
Shift-P = "?P"
SQABasic Scripts can be read by humans because commands in scripts refer to the names of objects rather than their crytic screen coordinates. Recorded scripts are Human-readable can also be changed manually by a programmer from within Robot or with any ASCII text editor.
# VU scripts have a file extension of .s
# Watch files have an file extension of .wsh.
2. Enablers allow Robot to detect the properties of objects in the underlying application. This means that objects can be specified for testing even if they are not visible in the application's interface.
# Rational sells additional Enablers to allow Robot to detect the properties of objects developed using VB, Oracle Forms, PowerBuilder, HTML, Java, C/C++, and other integrated development environments (IDEs).
1. Rational only certifies people in their Partner program.
2. $295 Certification tests are taken on-line.
3. At the end of Rational's 3-day $1,795 class: Rational TeamTest Fundamentals for Functional Testing
4. As of this writing, Rational's certification program is managed by Christine Sikorski RUCertAdmin@rational.com 18880 Homestead Rd. Cupertino, CA 95014 Phone:408.342-4682 Fax:408.863-4331